CIO Wisdom II
||More Best Practices
First edition; 480 pages
( by: Phil Laplante, Tom Costello)
BUY THIS BOOK
World-class IT leadership solutions from working CIOs: detailed, realistic, proven.
Every year, IT leadership becomes more challenging. Don’t go it alone. Get practical help from the people who know what you’re up against, and know what works: your most successful peers. In CIO Wisdom II, more than a dozen of today’s leading CIOs share specific, realistic, up-to-the-minute techniques for maximizing agility, cost-effectiveness, and business value. You’ll find solutions for managing both the internal and external forces impacting IT, and for dealing with more than 20 of your toughest issues — business, technical, and human. You’ll find specific, realistic approaches to everything from architecture to outsourcing, new technology selection to governance. CIO Wisdom II: it’s more valuable than your last consultant — and a whole lot more cost-effective.
- Anticipating the next transformation in your role as CIO — and getting ahead of the curve
- Delivering real-time, mission-critical business intelligence: lessons from the military
- Integrating the enterprise: New best practices and cost-effective technical options
- Quantifying and maximizing software return on investment
- Mastering five crucial lessons for successful IT outsourcing
- Managing outsourced environments for maximum responsiveness, flexibility, and efficiency
- Leveraging the value of open source — and minimizing its risks
- Using IT to improve business processes — and improving your own internal processes, including procurement
- Systematically securing your IT facilities
- Achieving compliance — and leveraging those investments for competitive advantage
- Previewing tomorrow’s key trends in information management
About the Authors
Dr. Phil Laplante
Dr. Phillip Laplante is Associate Professor of Software Engineering at Penn State University and the founder and director of the CIO Institute, a three-year old community of practice for CIOs in the Greater Philadelphia Metro Area. He is also the Chief Technology Officer of the Eastern Technology Council, a business development organization for the Greater Philadelphia Metropolitan Area. Prior to coming to Penn State he was a senior academic administrator at several other Colleges and Universities.
In addition to his academic career, Dr. Laplante spent almost eight years as a software engineer, project manager, and director of a software consulting firm. He has authored or edited 20 books and more than 140 other papers, articles and is a highly sought after mentor and coach for CEOs and CIOs.
Dr. Laplante received his B.S., M.Eng., and Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Computer Science, respectively, from Stevens Institute of Technology and an MBA from the University of Colorado.
As the CEO of UpStreme, Mr. Costello currently provides technical and business consulting to corporate CxOÕs, boards of directors, venture capital firms, angels, and investment bankers in the evaluation, planning, and implementation of technologies to meet strategic and tactical business needs. Mr. Costello has advised both private and public sector organizations ranging from The U.S. Department of State and established top Fortune 500 organizations to early-stage/pre-funded startups.
Mr. Costello’s 20 year career has spanned the universe of computing challenges and solutions. He has formerly held positions with such firms as Cambridge Technology Partners as Director of IT Strategy & Planning, CoreTech Consulting Group as Director of Management Services, U.S. Healthcare as Director of Development, AssetTRADE as both COO and CTO, the QVC Television Network, Shared Medical Systems, and GMIS.
Mr. Costello earned a Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems from the Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA, where he is currently a member of the Eberly College of Business Advisory Council.