Software Development

Building Reliable Systems

First edition; 416 pages
ISBN: 0-13-081246-3
( by: Marc Hamilton )

Software Development


80% of software projects fail – here’s why the other 20% succeed!

Software Development is the most thorough, realistic guide to “what works” in software development – and how to make it happen in your organization. Leading consultant Marc Hamilton tackles all three key elements of successful development: people, processes, and technology.

From streamlining infrastructures to retraining programmers, choosing tools to implementing service level agreements, Hamilton unifies all of today’s best practices – in management, architecture, and software engineering. There’s never been a more comprehensive blueprint for software success.

  • Discover “The Ten Commandments of Software Development”
  • Build a winning software development team, organize it for success – and retain your best talent
  • Create a software architecture that maps to business goals and serves as a foundation for successful development
  • Define processes that streamline component and Web-based development projects
  • Leverage the advantages of object-oriented techniques throughout the entire lifecycle
  • Make the most of JavaTM, JavaBeansTM, and JiniTM technology
  • Learn the best ways to measure software quality and productivity – and improve them

Software Developmentis ruthlessly realistic and remarkably accessible – for managers and technical professionals alike. Best of all, its techniques can be applied to any project or organization, large or small. Are you ready to build software that meets all its goals? This book will get you there.

About the Author

Marc Hamilton has 16+ years of experience in large-scale software development. At TRW, he worked under mentors such as Dr. Barry Boehm, developer of the legendary “spiral” method. Now at Sun Microsystems in Los Angeles, he is a systems engineering manager helping enterprise customers design business-critical applications.

IT Automation
The Quest for “Lights Out”: Data center automation in distributed environments.
CIO Wisdom
Best Practices from Silicon Valley’s Leading IT Experts
IT Services
Costs, Metrics, Benchmarking, and Marketing: Delighting IT customers: your real-world, start-to-finish guide
CIO Wisdom II
More Best Practices from Leading IT Experts
IT Architecture Toolkit
Less theoretical, more practical approach to developing and implementing enterprise architecture.
IT People
Doing More with Less. Best practices for managing the people within the IT organization.
Data Warehousing
Architecture and Implementation: A start-to-finish process for deploying successful data warehouses
Building Professional Services
The Sirens’ Song: A comprehensive guide to creating a professional services organization
IT Problem Management
The complete “best practices” guide to IT problem resolution.
IT Organization
Building a World-Class Infrastructure.
IT Web Services
A Roadmap for the Enterprise: Architectures, platforms, roles, business models, and deployment realities.
Software Development
Building Reliable Systems.
IT Production Services
Building Competitive Advantage: Describes one of the most important functions of an IT infrastructure
Managing IT as an Investment
Partnering for Success: Maximizing the value of technology—and the success of your IT organization.
High Availability
Design, Techniques and Processes: The complete how-to guide for maximizing availability of enterprise systems
IT Systems Management
Design, Implement, and Manage World-Class Infrastructures.
Technology Strategies
Managing technology, value, and change in the new economy.
Web-Based Infrastructures
A 4-D Framework: Maximize the value of your next Web-centered initiative.

SEO Powered By SEOPressor